A Potted History of the Association
West Moor Residents' Association has been in existence for over 50 years. It was first started as a means to hold a number of social gatherings such as Christmas Lunches and Dinner Dances.
Today, our activities are developed, and we are renowned for our summer play scheme, Christmas activities, carol concerts, pantomimes, and toddler groups. Our planting group works tirelessly and 95% of the planting around the village comes from the association. As an association, we always longed for a place of our own and over the years, we have been found in old school annex buildings and porta-cabins. After long discussions with the council , it was decided that we would get a permanent home.
After 5 years of discussions and consultations, in April 2007, we moved into our new home, West Moor Community Centre.
Everything you see in our building, and the fact that it can be open each day, is down to the hard work of the Residents Association over the last 50 years. We have fund raised, begged, applied for many grants and become friends with local businesses.
We have a community centre manager and 5 other paid part-time employees but a huge amount of the work is carried out by a large band of willing volunteers. The ethos of the Association has always been that we can do anything if we try. We value every member of the community from the young to the old. We have always believed that if you come into contact with a child at an early age, they come to take ownership of the building and grow with it.
In the past we ran an Over-50's Consultation Day and we continue to take action on some of the requests made. We want to break down the perceived barriers between the young and older members of the community and we believe that both have skills and experiences to pass on to the other.
History of West Moor in Pictures - Courtesy of Robert Mitchelson
West Moor Co-Op until the early 60's when it then became the Employment Exchange.
Dial Cottage on Paradise Row. Built 1805 - 1810.
Home ofGeorge Stephenson.
Crank Row (West Moor Pit Head in the Background)
Built about 1805 and demolished around about 1950.
West Moor pit head. Shaft sunk 1802 - 1805.
14 ft diameter. Shaft 637ft deep continued down to 720ft to provide standage for water prior to pumping to the surface. Closed 1882
Colliery housing on Long Row which was demolished in the mid 1950's. This later became Armstrong Drive.
House at Benton Lane / Great Lime Road junction around about 1900.
West Moor crossroads about 1900 looking towards South Gosforth with Mrs Bullocks cottage on the right.
Looking towards Killingworth station around about 1898. The house on the left later became the home of Sir James Bowman chairman of the N.C.B.